Que penser de cet email reçu

Gérard 17
9/21 10:56
Gérard 17
9/21 10:56
Quote:
Hello,

I hope this email finds you well.

My name is Ali Adam, and I am a bug hunter and security researcher. In my spare time, I seek out vulnerabilities on websites to help improve their security while also earning a living. Recently, I discovered and reported a potential issue on your website through Open Bug Bounty.

However, I suspect that you may not have received the notification due to some delays on their servers. Therefore, I wanted to reach out directly via email to ensure you have all the details of the bug report.

Title of Bug: Reflected XSS Vulnerability xxxxxxxxxxx.com
Overview:
A reflected Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability was identified on xxxxxxxxxxx.com. This flaw allows attackers to inject and execute arbitrary JavaScript in the context of the user's browser when the vulnerable URL is accessed. Reflected XSS can lead to a variety of attacks, including session hijacking, redirection to malicious websites, or unauthorized actions on behalf of the victim.

Vulnerability Details:
Vulnerability Type: Reflected Cross-Site Scripting (XSS)

Affected Domain: xxxxxxxxxxx.com

Description:
The vulnerable endpoint reflects unsanitized user input back into the webpage without proper encoding or sanitization. As a result, an attacker can craft a malicious URL containing a script that will be executed in the browser of any user who clicks the link. This allows the attacker to perform a wide range of malicious activities, including stealing session cookies, performing unauthorized actions, or redirecting the user to a phishing website.

Steps to Reproduce:
1- Go to the vulnerable URL: https://xxxxxxxxxxx.com/modules/newbb/viewpost.php?start=442&forum=0&viewmode=flat&uid=0&order=%3C%2Fscript%3E%27%22%3E%3Cimg+src%3Dx+onError%3Dprompt%281%29%3E&mode=0

2- Observe the script execution: The crafted payload will be reflected on the page, and the alert JavaScript function will be executed, demonstrating the XSS vulnerability.

Impact:
1. User Session Hijacking: Attackers can steal session cookies and impersonate the victim. This can allow unauthorized access to the victim's account and sensitive information.

2. Phishing Attacks: By injecting malicious JavaScript into a reflected XSS vulnerability, attackers can redirect users to malicious websites or present fake login forms to capture credentials, leading to phishing attacks.

3. Unauthorized Actions: The attacker can potentially perform actions on behalf of the victim by exploiting the XSS vulnerability. This could include unauthorized transactions or changes to user settings.

4. Data Theft: Sensitive information such as user details, tokens, or other credentials present in the page may be stolen and exfiltrated by the attacker through the execution of malicious scripts.

5. Malware Distribution: XSS can be used to inject scripts that load malware or exploit kits, potentially infecting the user's device with malicious software.

6. Website Defacement: Attackers may manipulate the content of the page displayed to users, altering the site’s appearance, embedding offensive content, or distributing misinformation.

7. Reputation Damage: Exploiting an XSS vulnerability can tarnish the reputation of the affected website. Users may lose trust in the platform, fearing their security is at risk.

8. Loss of Confidentiality: Private user data can be exposed, leading to violations of privacy and regulatory compliance (e.g., GDPR).

9. Brand Exploitation: Attackers can exploit the trust users place in the affected website, using it as a platform to launch further attacks or impersonate the organization.

Recommendation for Mitigation:
Input Validation and Sanitization: Implement strict input validation to prevent the injection of HTML or JavaScript code. Reject any input that contains suspicious characters or symbols.

Output Encoding: Encode all user input that is reflected on the webpage to ensure that it is displayed as plain text rather than executed as HTML or JavaScript.

Content Security Policy (CSP): Implement a strong Content Security Policy (CSP) to limit the execution of inline scripts and external resources.

Security Headers: Enable security headers such as X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff, X-Frame-Options: deny, and X-XSS-Protection: 1; mode=block to mitigate the impact of XSS vulnerabilities.

Impact Severity:
Severity: High.

CVSS Score: 7.5 (Base Score).

Attack Vector: Network.

Attack Complexity: Low.

Privileges Required: None.

User Interaction: Required.

Impact on Confidentiality: High.

Impact on Integrity: High.

Impact on Availability: High.

Reflected XSS vulnerabilities are common but can be highly damaging, particularly when exploited in phishing attacks or combined with social engineering techniques. Immediate remediation is essential to protect users from potential attacks.

I do this work to alert you to potential security issues on your website, and I would greatly appreciate it if you could consider providing a bounty for the bug I discovered. Such rewards motivate me to continue hunting for vulnerabilities and helping to secure websites like yours.

If possible, I would be grateful if you could send the reward to my PayPal account: alihunter.adam@gmail.com

Additionally, I am happy to create an invoice for the transfer if that is more convenient for you.

P.S.: Please, if you send the reward via PayPal, don't forget to include your BBR ID in the payment description. You will find your BBR ID in the subject of the email.

I look forward to working together to enhance the security of your company's websites.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

Best regards,
Ali Adam
Re : Que penser de cet email reçu
Gérard
Gérard

Gérard 17
9/21 11:00
Gérard 17
9/21 11:00
Bonjour,

Je précise que j'ai caché volontairement l'url de mon site dans la copie de l'email et que ce dernier m'a été envoyé plusieurs fois dans la journée d'hier.

Je précise aussi que l'option Protector 3.61 "le anti-XSS" a toujours été activée (comme pour tous mes sites Xoops) ...
Alain T
Alain T

Alain T 626
9/21 11:34
Alain T 626
9/21 11:34
Salut,
il est clair qu'il faut que tu utilises les dernières versions à jour de tes modules.
Et pour le cœur, XOOPS 2.5.11 sera toujours plus sécurisé que XOOPS 2.5.10.
Tu n'as pas indiqué la version que tu utilises de Newbb.

Dernière version ici
Alain T
Alain T

Alain T 626
9/21 11:37
Alain T 626
9/21 11:37
Et pour information, la dernière version de Protector est la version 3.6.2 stable
Gérard
Gérard

Gérard 17
9/22 14:19
Gérard 17
9/22 14:19
Ok, merci pour ces info .. la passage sur 11 est prévu prochainement. Le newbb n'est pas activé sur ce site ...